I usually begin this post with "Another year has flown by..." but 2020 was a strange mix of COVID-19 impacted time dilation where it both flew and dragged simultaneously. Time to look back from a bloggy/social media (not just CAD blog) perspective at a very strange year:
Best social media related event(s):
With so much going on-line this year, including work for about 3 months, it is hard to single out one event. These come to mind:
- Antarctic on-line meetings | Trip reunion Zoom meeting and speaking to the Auckland Antarctic Meet-up on-line (with help from Dr Karl)
- Autodesk University 2020
- AU Skeptics Conference 2020
- James Acaster | 'Cold Lasagne, Hate Myself 1999' live stream of the routine he abandoned when I saw him live at the 1999 NZ Comedy Festival. It was great, as was the, vastly different, show he did here!
Best social media comment
Might have to scrap this one. I got no comments on the blog itself in 2020 but social media post links to Twitter and Facebook often generate comment there.
Social media surprise?
Last year finding out (via a Facebook Fiat Fan) my Fiat Bravo HGT is one of just three left in New Zealand and via “Honest John” there are only twenty-one left in the U.K. was a surprise. This year meeting Ian 'Hubnut' Seabrook after he'd taken my Bravo for a drive to feature on his channel was a highlight. It was interesting to hear about life as a YouTuber. The video has had about 30,000 views so far!
I first watched Ian's exploits in his Invacar, 2CV and other odd vehicles a few years ago, his drives across Europe a highlight. Never thought would meet him in New Zealand, never mind have my car appear on his channel!
Best new media (Podcasters and YouTubers):
- Ice Coffee: the history of human activity in Antarctica - Matthew Alan McArthur | Brilliant history, delivered to the sound of a gas stove (preparing coffee) and (sometimes) real Antarctic location sounds.
- Furious Driving | YouTube | Modern classic car tests and restoration
- Big Car | YouTube | Great car model histories
Best new(ish) social media tool:
My favourite app of 2020 is not new, but I really appreciated it over the 2020 lockdown. Snapwood Apps SkyFolio allows my Sony TV (which uses Android OS) to access and display all my photos stored on OneDrive*. It senses when the TV is inactive for a while (not playing streamed content or live broadcasts) and shows a randomised slideshow of all my photos. In a year when travel (even local at times) became a memory it was so nice to see random shots from previous travels on the 55-inch screen.
* Snapwood Apps also have apps for Dropbox, Flickr, Facebook & Google Drive/Photos storage
Happy New Year!
Thanks for visiting, reading, following, and commenting wherever you do. Let's see what 2021 brings!
Boring Blog Stats (for me!)
[ ] = 2019 figures
TypePad Community: 74  Following | 228  Followers
Twitter: 35,900 [33,000] Tweets | 4887  Following* | 2499  Followers | 8,754 [6,134] Likes
Posts: 2157  | Comments: 1790  | Pages: 11 
Page Views: Total: 1,563,057 [1,553,287] | Average Per Day: 255.61 [270.18]
FeedBurner Subscribers: 160 
Most Popular Post from 2020: Remote Desktop tips
Most visited post of 2020 was from 2018: Making my Perfect PC? A peak beneath the Microsoft Surface at Autodesk University #AU2017
Posts: 2353  | Comments: 1038 
Page Views: Total: 459,891 [451,086] | Average Per Day: 79.59 [83.35]
FeedBurner Subscribers: 27 
Most Popular Post from 2020: The best active headphones? | Aftershokz Aeropex
Most visited post of 2020 was from 2020: The best active headphones? | Aftershokz Aeropex