Just got home from the AEC Systems NZ Building Solutions 2008 Launch. I’d not seen any 2008 Revit in action, got the disc not yet installed it(!), so was good to get an overview of what is new this year.
After an introduction from Marcel van Oosterom (AEC Systems Regional Manager), Michael Beer (Autodesk Australia) talked about the shift to BIM – “Experience it Before it is Real" – and how it’s changing the industry. He mentioned that NZ/AU was well ahead of the USA in terms of Revit adoption. I suspect this is because of our generally smaller offices makes adoption easier plus a genuine interest in the technology.
Then it was on to the product specific demos. It’s interesting to see some AutoCAD Architecture (ACA) style functionality appearing in “Revitised” form in addition to new and refined Revit features. Some highlights for me:
- Revit Architecture 2008 – Wesley Benn:
- Updated Groups with object override to hide objects in an instance of a group. Big change is that groups can now be edited in-place within the project with other objects “greying out” while the edit is in progress. You can add/remove objects from the group while in edit mode (similar to ACA Refedit a block).
- Better object visibility and UI feedback. The display viewport gains a coloured outline to warn of hidden/isolated object overrides.
- View Specific Object Display Settings: Override visibility per view. Example might be to make a wall transparent in a 3D view but have it appear solid in another. (Similar to ACA Object Display Override).
- Improved presentation: masking regions, dimensions and colour fill legends refined. New “dependent views” for splitting a large view across several sheets.
- Improved Linked Projects;
- Show in Project Browser
- Nested Linked Projects (ACA nested Xref)
- In-place edit linked projects (ACA Refedit Xref)
- Refined API – More potential for 3rd party developers to extend Revit.
- Revit MEP 2008 – Simon Whitbread:
- Showed system auto-routing and clash detection for ducting & circuit tools for electrical.
- Mentioned IES (Integrated Environmental Solutions) Link
- Revit Structure 2008 – Damien Legrand:
- Export/Import & coordination with external analysis tools (Robobat)
- Curved Splined Elements (beams etc)
- Integrated Parametric Truss Tool
- Better re-bar tools
It was great to meet Aussie “Revit guru” Wesley Benn. I’d seen him at AU several times, speaking about Revit and at the Revit Mixers, but was the first opportunity I’ve had to speak to him. It was also good to meet the Neil Allen, the new Autodesk NZ Territory Manager. I also caught up with a few industry colleagues from closer to home, one I’d only ever previously met in Las Vegas!
That’s a quick overview, because now it’s time for me to pack!
PS: Some of The Warehouse Group team will be at the Autodesk/Salesoft CAD Solutions 2008 Launch tomorrow (24–04–2007), say hello if you see them!