Some of my most used ActiveWords substitute names & URL’s, launch applications or navigate to websites related to the CAD applications I use. For example these are my AutoCAD Architecture ActiveWords:
- Typing “acaf” results in “AutoCAD Architecture”
- Typing “acau” results in “http://www.autodesk.com/autocadarchitecture”
- Typing “acan” launches my web browser (if not open) and navigates to the AutoCAD Architecture website.
- Typing “acal” launches AutoCAD Architecture.
Create an ActiveWord once and it works in any application, in fact anywhere you can type (even Notepad!). They can substitute text, navigate to websites, launch or interact with applications, open documents/folders or perform any scripted action possible with keystrokes.
I already have similar ActiveWords for AutoCAD, DWF, Revit and Viz and other applications I use but wonder if there is a demand for more?
Two resources have become available which will make it easier to create and distribute a CAD related ActiveWords database. The ActiveWords team have given me access to a developer tool and Shaan has posted a resource of “permalinks” for the Autodesk product range/site.
I was considering this last year but found out about the impending “2008” renaming. I wonder if there is any demand to extend this to other products – Civil 3D, Inventor etc – so am looking for some feedback.
- Do you use, or would this encourage you to try, ActiveWords?
- What CAD related applications and sites do you use/visit often?
- Would a CAD ActiveWords database be of interest?
Leave a comment on this post or use email me to respond.
Autodesk “Permalinks: Between the Lines: autodesk.com and MURLs
Learn more about, or get a free trial of, ActiveWords