A trip to Antarctica via Argentina, returning via Iguazu Falls.
Planning and Why?
- Antarctic Mission–A travel itinerary of movie soundtracks and a podcast hero?
- Auckland Antarctic Science Meetup | I joined this to learn a bit more before travelling. Some brilliant talks, movies and presentations
- Adventure Books Oamaru and Shackleton Connection | Antarctic books galore
Trip Posts (links added as published):
- Charter based on World Expeditions (Oceanwide) Basecamp tour
- Day 1 | Ushuaia & Departure
- Day 2-3 | Drake Passage Crossing
- Day 4-9 | Antarctic Peninsula Basecamp
- Kayaking, a landing and endless evening (L1, 2)
- Neko, Danco, Pingu, BBQ? (L4, 5)
- Antarctic sounds and not sleeping on ice (L6)
- Finding Lockie (L7, 8)
- Frozen obstacles and Chilean welcomes (L10, 11, 13)
- Station Almirante Brown heights (L14, 15)
- Antarctic Airport, no Deception (L16)
- Telephon Bay, Antarctic farewells (L17)
- Day 10-11 | Drake Passage Return
- Day 12-13 | Ushuaia to BA
Buenos Aires (3 Days):
Iguazu Falls (3 Days):
- Arrival and Brazil Falls
- Argentinian Falls
- Birds and flying home
- Will I ever leave Antarctica?
Photo Archive (Flickr)
- Karl Kruszelnicki (Dr Karl) | Wikipedia
- Antarctic Cruise with Doctor Karl | World Expeditions
- The Amaz!ng Meeting Australia 2010 (Sydney) #TAMOz
- Dr Karl Kruszelnicki’s inspiring conversation with Richard Fidler
Antarctic NZ History:
- "Theme from Antarctica". From the original score of Koreyoshi Kurahara's film "Antarctica". Composed in 1983 by Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou (Vangelis).
- Roland Joffe’s film The Mission, about the experiences of a Jesuit missionary in 18th-century South America, featured Ennio Morricone’s original score and memorable scenes shot around the Iguazu Falls.
- TEDx 2015 Auckland | Steve Pointing is Professor of Applied Ecology at AUT and for over a decade has led an astrobiology research team collaborating with NASA. Studies extremophiles in Antarctica, NZ, Tibet.