Index of posts about my cycle adventure with Adventure South (World Expeditions) from Lhasa (Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) in September 2014:
The build up:
- Coming in 2014 - The most epic cycling trip I’ve ever contemplated!
- Remarkable Adventures International Cycling — Adventure South's international page
- From Tibet to the edge of the Universe
- No escaping Adventure South even when being lazy watching TV! — doco about Lydia Bradey the first woman to summit Everest with clip of Geoff Gabites, as NZ Alpine Club President
- New Zealand Mountain Biking — Adventure cycling in Queenstown
- New toy to ride the ‘worlds steepest downhill’ — The bike
- Rapid Robs first ride - Took 'Rapid Rob' on our first real ride yesterday.
- The Wildest Dream: Everest – amazing film about Mallory
- Today cycled up Mt Donald Mclean, next the Himalaya! (Whatipu Ride)
- Sad news from Nepal
- TEDx Auckland 2014, the unexpected Himalayan cycle tour prep!
- Rapid Rob brake, not break, test! (Muriwai Ride)
- Manukau coastal ride
The Trip Posts:
These posts are backdated to the correct trip dates. Use the links at the top or end of each post to get to the next/previous one or the index link at the end to return here.
- Getting there, just…
- Discovering Kathmandu
- To Lhasa, Tibet, now breathe…
- Lhasa to Gangna (Village) Camp
- Gangna to Yamzo Yumco (Scorpion) lakes camp
- Scorpion lakes to Qiabuyu Village Lake camp
- Qiabuyu Village Lake camp to Gyangze
- Gyangze to Xigaze (Shigaze)
- Resting in Xigaze (Shigaze)
- Xigaze (Shigaze) to Laga Village Camp
- Laga Camp to Jaikang Village Camp
- Jaikang to Shegar (New Tingri) Hotel
- Shegar (New Tingri) to Qulonggongba Village (Everest Valley) Camp
- Qulonggongba Village Camp to Everest Base Camp return
- Qulonggongba to Shenmuda Village Camp
- Shenmuda to Menbu Town Camp
- Menbu to Lalung La Pass Saddle Camp
- Lalung La Pass Saddle to Nyalam Camp Hotel!
- Nyalam to Zhangmu (Tibetan Border)
- Zhangmu to Kodari (Nepal Border)
- Kodari to Kathmandu, Nepal
- Farewell to Kathmandu
Bob’s GPS track of our ride.
The Trip Posts on Microsoft Sway:
Microsoft Sway is a new on-line presentation tool currently in preview. I copy pasted the Trip blog posts above into Sway, it did the rest!
The only loss was the links to the Flickr full resolution images.
Actually, about halfway I got a message that preview size limit meant I’d need to make a couple of Sways:
- Himalayan Cycle 1 | Lhasa to Shegar (New Tingri)
- Himalayan Cycle 2 | Shegar (New Tingri) to Kathmandu
My photos on Flickr:
Thinking of travelling to Tibet?
- I travelled with Adventure South (guided by Bas) and World Expeditions NZ
- In addition to information and current news on the Tibetan struggle freetibet.org/about/travel-in-tibet has information on ethics of travelling in Tibet and recommendations for travellers.
- Altitude.org has great advice on altitude sickness and acclimatisation beginning with: “Every year, people die of altitude sickness. All of these deaths are preventable. If you are travelling above 2500m (8000ft), read this information and tell your companions about it - it could save your life.“ - www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness