Index of posts about my cycle adventure with Adventure South (World Expeditions) from Lhasa (Tibet) to Kathmandu (Nepal) in September 2014:
The build up:
- Coming in 2014 - The most epic cycling trip I’ve ever contemplated!
- Remarkable Adventures International Cycling — Adventure South's international page
- From Tibet to the edge of the Universe
- No escaping Adventure South even when being lazy watching TV! — doco about Lydia Bradey the first woman to summit Everest with clip of Geoff Gabites, as NZ Alpine Club President
- New Zealand Mountain Biking — Adventure cycling in Queenstown
- New toy to ride the ‘worlds steepest downhill’ — The bike
- Rapid Robs first ride - Took 'Rapid Rob' on our first real ride yesterday.
- The Wildest Dream: Everest – amazing film about Mallory
- Today cycled up Mt Donald Mclean, next the Himalaya! (Whatipu Ride)
- Sad news from Nepal
- TEDx Auckland 2014, the unexpected Himalayan cycle tour prep!
- Rapid Rob brake, not break, test! (Muriwai Ride)
- Manukau coastal ride
The Trip Posts:
These posts are backdated to the correct trip dates. Use the links at the top or end of each post to get to the next/previous one or the index link at the end to return here.
- Getting there, just…
- Discovering Kathmandu
- To Lhasa, Tibet, now breathe…
- Lhasa to Gangna (Village) Camp
- Gangna to Yamzo Yumco (Scorpion) lakes camp
- Scorpion lakes to Qiabuyu Village Lake camp
- Qiabuyu Village Lake camp to Gyangze
- Gyangze to Xigaze (Shigaze)
- Resting in Xigaze (Shigaze)
- Xigaze (Shigaze) to Laga Village Camp
- Laga Camp to Jaikang Village Camp
- Jaikang to Shegar (New Tingri) Hotel
- Shegar (New Tingri) to Qulonggongba Village (Everest Valley) Camp
- Qulonggongba Village Camp to Everest Base Camp return
- Qulonggongba to Shenmuda Village Camp
- Shenmuda to Menbu Town Camp
- Menbu to Lalung La Pass Saddle Camp
- Lalung La Pass Saddle to Nyalam Camp Hotel!
- Nyalam to Zhangmu (Tibetan Border)
- Zhangmu to Kodari (Nepal Border)
- Kodari to Kathmandu, Nepal
- Farewell to Kathmandu
Bob’s GPS track of our ride.
The Trip Posts on Microsoft Sway:
Microsoft Sway is a new on-line presentation tool currently in preview. I copy pasted the Trip blog posts above into Sway, it did the rest!
The only loss was the links to the Flickr full resolution images.
Actually, about halfway I got a message that preview size limit meant I’d need to make a couple of Sways:
- Himalayan Cycle 1 | Lhasa to Shegar (New Tingri)
- Himalayan Cycle 2 | Shegar (New Tingri) to Kathmandu
My photos on Flickr:
Thinking of travelling to Tibet?
- I travelled with Adventure South (guided by Bas) and World Expeditions NZ
- In addition to information and current news on the Tibetan struggle freetibet.org/about/travel-in-tibet has information on ethics of travelling in Tibet and recommendations for travellers.
- Lobsang Wangdu and Yolanda O’Bannon founded YoWangdu Experience Tibet to support local Tibetan people while helping travellers experience real Tibetan culture through travel to Tibet. They will help make Tibet travel simpler, safer and ethical so you can feel peace of mind about your trip | YoWangdu: Experience Tibet
- Altitude.org has great advice on altitude sickness and acclimatisation beginning with: “Every year, people die of altitude sickness. All of these deaths are preventable. If you are travelling above 2500m (8000ft), read this information and tell your companions about it - it could save your life.“ - www.altitude.org/altitude_sickness