I got great service from the agent who handled my Autodesk University Trip, work appointed, but was disappointed when the travel documents arrived. There was all the usual stuff – ticket, itinerary etc – and even a prefilled departure card but lurking amongst that was…
The Homeopathic Jet Lag Remedy leaflet!
Here are some, there were lots, of the claims;
- 94% long distance travellers suffer jet lag and 45% consider it bothersome ~ OK!
- A survey of flight attendants revealed 96% suffered jet lag,
- 90% tiredness after arrival,
- 73% dehydration,
- 94% lack of energy & motivation,
- 93% broken sleep after arrival.
Again, OK, perhaps the energy & motivation bit explains some of the service!
- What causes jet lag? There followed a paragraph that basically said: Flying, altitude, pressure, lack of humidity, alcohol and sleep.
Again Ok! but now the trouble starts
- Take ##-##-### and feel fresh
- A survey of flight attendants revealed 74% said ##-##-### was good or very good ~ i.e. Marvellous result but proves nothing. Was it a double blind test compared with neutral group?
- Contains ONLY homeopathic remedies ~ i.e. Nothing but water?
- Small dilutions avoid chance of side effects ~ i.e. Nothing but water?
- Does not counter Alcohol ~ i.e. Either does water.
- Users include Olympic Athletes, All Blacks, Kiwi Cricket Team, recommended by some team doctors ~ So the standard appeal to celebrity pitch and recommended (or maybe not resisted) because, well it’s water.
- Passed Olympic Standards free from traces of banned drugs ~ i.e. like water.
- Listed safe for over the counter sales by FDA ~ i.e. like water.
- Does not conflict with existing medicine ~ i.e. like water.
For a summary of why Homeopathy is garbage I recommend this from James Randi, oh and the remedy above claims 30C dilution on it’s website which I will not link to as hate to promote it…