I’m sure fortunes are spent by experts in the mind control they call “Marketing” and “Branding” but you wonder about the message they are trying to convey. Here’s what I get from watching them*:
- Toyota Corolla Lost Key – Man looses car key resulting in a massive national search to find it. He then sits down and realises it has been in his back pocket the whole time.
- Toyota think Corolla drivers are stupid. If you’re stupid buy a Corolla
- New World Supermarket Woman – She buzzes around the supermarket getting stuff, forgetting stuff, leaving shoes in aisle, holding up other customers but looks great, and smiles happily, while doing it.
- Unless you want to get stuck behind an stupid inconsiderate, but attractive, woman, don’t shop at New World.
- Suzuki Swift “Hitchhikers” – Sexy girls trying thumbing a lift but reject several offers until “Mr Cool” comes along in his Swift. Cut to him standing by the road with a “Help” sign while the women drive around town in his car.
- Suzuki Swifts are driven by thieving tarts.
- Mercedes Benz “Love the road” – Stunning shots of a Mercedes on New Zealand roads with smooth music
- Awesome attempt to do something about the Mercedes “Fat belly Business Man” or “Up-market retirement carriage” image. Someone at Merc actually likes driving for more than just transport. They should be appointed head of the Land Transport Safety Authority
- Fiat Auto – No, I haven’t seen an advert either!
- Selling a few hundred cars per year can’t support a TV budget which leads to….
- Saab – Saab is driven through dramatic scenery with the emphasis on performance and style.
- Nice ad but they only sold 302 last year, what’s paying for a TV campaign?
- The Warehouse – All the ad’s (Disclosure, I do work for them)
- Hasn’t Oliver Driver (Voice Talent) got enough jobs already?
- Aston Martin and Audi A7 – Not brand adverts but their appearance in Big Wednesday Lottery Commission ads
- How does “they give them away” help Aston Martin’s image? It’s another reason to prefer Ferrari
- The Audi A7 now seems cheap in addition to stupidly large, ugly and pointless.
But then, I know nothing about advertising. I’m just a consumer!
* I usually record and blitz the ads from anything I really want to see but sometimes, news, you cant avoid them.