Mindjet have announced a revised structure for their “Mindjet” subscription packages which meet with a very mixed reaction when first announced.
In addition to the full “Business” ($30/month) subscription there is now an “Individual” option. This appears to add the Mindjet desktop application, formerly known as MindManager, to the previous web only $15/month package:
“Mindjet for Individuals includes our desktop versions for Windows and Mac, along with use of the Mindjet web app for personal file storage and task management.
Mindjet for Individuals License includes:
- Fully functioning Mindjet for Windows and Mac desktop versions
- Mindjet Web with personal file storage
- Mindjet Tasks to help users manage personal items and “to do” lists
The price is $15 (USD) per month with a multi-year purchase option and is available in English, French and German.”
While the new pricing is more expensive than the old software assurance it adds some web services to the desktop package. It is a much more acceptable offer for those who don’t need the full team/social mapping features in the business package, but more than the old web only subscription offered.
Its great to see this response from Mindjet but I wonder about the process which developed the initial packages. I hope it is not too late as know, via comment and email response to this post, that previously loyal users have been motivated to investigate alternative products. Probably not quite the reaction Mindjet were aiming for with their re-launch.
For the details on Mindjet for Individuals or other Mindjet products go to www.mindjet.com
UPDATE 2012-11-22: I still found some aspects of the new subscription confusing especially when I received a renewal request for the old (pre-subscription MSA) fee. Below are the questions and responses from Mindjet Support:
“Could you help with these question re MSA & the Mindjet Subscription changes?
1) I have/had MindManager 2012 as a perpetual product with MSA. I believe this entitled me to a perpetual license of Mindjet 11 desktop irrespective of upgrading/not to the new Mindjet Subscription?
-Yes, active MSA entitles you to upgrades and moving to the subscription is only an option that will provide you with all our products (desktop, web and mobile apps).
2) If I pay the MSA $79.80 will I get perpetual updates for future desktop versions of Mindjet even if I choose not to update to a Mindjet Personal or Business Subscription? If not what is this charge for?
-Yes, if you decide to keep your MSA. You will continue to receive the upgrades of the desktop software only.
3) If I update to a Mindjet Personal or Business Subscription but later chose not to renew it can I use the (then current) Mindjet desktop application perpetually to create/edit/view local data or does it stop at the end of the subscription term?
-If you upgrade your windows key to the Mindjet subscription, you will receive a perpetual license for windows and a subscription key for the mac desktop software and web service. After a year, if you decide not to continue with the subscription, you will keep the windows perpetual license but the mac and web service will turn into view only mode.
4) If I choose not to update to a Mindjet Personal or Business Subscription can I use the Mindjet 11 application perpetually or do I have to revert to MindManager 2012?
-No, you can keep the latest version (Mindjet 11) that you received. “